At the heart of lean innovation is “getting out of the building” to test your ideas on real live humans! The fastest, cheapest, and most effective way to experiment is with simple interviews. Getting, and then completing, those interviews can be scary as heck for a lot of first-time entrepreneurs. It need not.
Here are some tools I use with all of my students to help them find people to interview, secure those interviews, and walk away with the most accurate data possible.
- Short lecture on best practices in customer development interviewing (note this is a playlist, so keep listening after the first one is done :))
- Scripts for Finding & Securing Interviews
- Script for Discovery Interviews (when you aren’t really sure what your customer’s pains are and want to cast a wide net)
- Script for Pain Interviews (when you are ready to test specific pain hypotheses)
- Script for Solution Interviews (when you are ready to put a minimum viable product / prototype in front of a customer for feedback on your value proposition)